Pages

Saturday 25 January 2014

I'm in love

Yes, I'm in love. With Burbage, with Hamlet? Not sure. Methinks they are two sides of the same coin. But first, in true theatre fashion, I shall set the scene.
We hurried over the bridge to the Globe. It's important to get there early for a good view of the stage. There was already quite a crowd there, but as we were young, and I am of smallish stature, the older people allowed us to push forward a bit. We still had a goodish time to wait, but I indulged myself in studying the audience. I have a secret desire to write, and am always making up plots around people I see. Some of the women had the most beautiful garments, trimmed with lace. There was a lot of fur on show too, as the weather proved cold. I've tried to draw a couple of the more fashionable people at the theatre. I had to guess the details, as I saw only tantalising hints of embroidered silk on sumptious velvets - most of the beautiful women were draped in great travel cloaks of fashionable sombre colours. It's strange to see, but they were cheek and jowl with some really common looking people. Pick-pockets, I wouldn't be surprised.
I will tell you about the behaviour of some of these people later, but mother is calling, and I needs must obey,

No comments:

Post a Comment